Best viewed in Internet Explorer

Friday, June 4, 2010

Bario Trip - Part 1

Last Sunday, I was on my holiday trip with John to Bario; just came back two days ago. We took a flight using the Twin-Otter plane which took us about 50 minutes or you can travel by land from Miri using a 4WD for 12 hours(good weather condition). My accommodation and food were taken care, so I just need to pay for my air ticket.

The first thing in mind when we hear about that place would be their RICE. Yeah, no doubt it's a better kind of rice. But there are more things I've discovered during my stay over there.
Bario it's a highland located in a flat valley surrounded by mountains.

So here are few common things you find:-

1. First, it's a village surrounded by jungles.
2. Cool and fresh air (I enjoyed this the most, feels so different compared to the city)
3. Cold and fresh mountain water (Freezing cold water, you'll shiver like crazy just to take a bath)
4. Off-road, muddy, terrible roads (Sorry, only 4WD allowed. Haha!)
5. Hilux and motorbike all around (Transportation)
6. Many churches (Christian community btw)
7. Food - Rice, wild boar..
8. Alcohol (Crazy, they can drink beer like drinking water)
9. Cigarette smoke (Ish... only thing that let me down)

Hope I didn't miss out any. Heh!

So now I'll just share some of my experiences there.

Day 1 - Sunday - 30/5/2010
At the moment we reached the airport, the air was completely different. There is where I first taste the sweet, fresh and cooling air with some gentle breeze.

Later in the afternoon, I went to see their source of electricity. The mini hydroelectric dam. Haha! Only a small area in Bario is powered.

Freezing cold mountain water.

This would be one of our important needs everyday.

There is a hill behind the school where I will go every evening to enjoy the fresh air and green scenery to rest my eyes.

The view of Bario.

Day 2 - Monday - 31/5/2010
Today was a tiring day after walking for long just to see the place where they make Bario salt.


The path we took, looks great yeah!

Finally, this is the hole where they collect underground salt water. Pretty impressive, wonder how did they discover such a place.
And below is where they burn the salt water to extract the salt. Expensive salt!


So after the long walk in the morning, decided to relax in the freezing cold water in the afternoon.
Trust me, it's really COLD!

And some modeling. Hahaha!


There are sheep too.

And this would be the school.


...to be continued

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

hehehee.. i just have to ask. is john your imaginary friend haha! scroll down all pictures of you muahahaha..

Jin Kiat said...

Haha... He is our RIT principal la. He my camera man ma, how to be in photo leh?

Vin said...

nice place! i wana go

 
ss_blog_claim=bc4ece250137659ab05e6a0acf96234f ss_blog_claim=bc4ece250137659ab05e6a0acf96234f